Friday 31 December 2010

Kate Bush - The Dreaming / Siouxsie & The Banshees - Kiss In The Dreamhouse

I don’t listen to enough Kate Bush – I was 15 when Wuthering Heights came out and I bought her first 4 albums between 1978 and 1982, The Dreaming being the last of those. It reminds me of leaving home, getting a flat and living on beans on toast. I’m glad I listened to it today, great stuff.

The woman is not exactly prolific – the fact she has only released a further 4 albums to this date illustrates that well – fortunately they are all available to me at any time as my darlin’ GF is a proper Kate geek / fan!

The other female led music I keep returning to from that period is Siouxsie and the Banshees. They were deeply involved in the nascent punk scene, though to my mind developed musically to embrace a broad set of influences. For the sake of comparison I listened to their 1982 album A Kiss In The Dreamhouse, it makes me want to sing along out of tune, jump about and dance wildly, unfortunately the years have taken their toll on my joints and dancing ability! Brilliant stuff, should be compulsory listening for today’s indie boys and girls. Educashunal, innit?

1 comment:

  1. I can remember my dad bringing home a TDK C90 with The Kick Inside and Lionheart on that a chap at work had taped for him. Having just got into Adam & The Ants I dismissed Kate Bush until The Dreaming came out and I realised just what a talent she is. The Hounds of Love is an 80s musical highpoint. Listen to Hello Earth loud and in the dark - it'll send shivers down your spine.

    ReplyDelete